Sunday 2 September 2012

Afternoon Tea at the Corinthia

A couple of weeks ago I went for afternoon tea with friends three times in 4 days...

I started quite modestly, with what should really be called 'cream tea' at the Corinthia Hotel in London. My friend C and I decided to sneak away to the very stylish Corinthia lobby lounge for some of their divine scones and a cup of tea.

I know from experience that the sandwiches at Corinthia are perfectly tasty, traditional, finger sandwiches. And I have never had the occasion to take full afternoon tea here, so I don't know what their cakes are like, but their scones are truly lovely. Petite and still warm from the oven, they are just the right side of moist (I am always very disappointed if I am served a dry scone, and sadly it does happen). Served with clotted cream and two types of red jam (strawberry & raspberry) on chic silver & white china designed for the hotel, no less. And, as C remarked, 'these scones are so dainty that even though I have had three it only really counts as one'.

One day I will return and have the full works, including the beautiful cakes and patisseries - which are a Corinthia speciality.


Price: £21 for cream tea (which we virtuously shared) plus a few pounds extra for a second pot of tea

Tea list: A good selection of black and non-fermented teas.

Atmosphere: Quiet, stylish, grand. One almost expects Hercule Poirot to appear from behind one of the columns which lines the wall...

No comments:

Post a Comment